Saturday, April 14, 2018

You Know The Voice: "Underdog" shills for Salvo (1964-5)

This next item is also at The Land of Whatever.

I remember seeing Wally Cox shilling for Canada Dry's now-defunct Sport cola in the early 70's. Little did I know that this wasn't his first endorsement deal.

While Underdog was on CBS, Wally was hired to pitch Salvo detergent for Procter & Gamble.



I'm willing to guess that this ad might've slipped into some daytime programming, especially since P & G were producing soap operas back then (i.e. Search For Tomorrow, As The World Turns), and little kids, seeing Wally flex his muscles while balancing the box on his arm, and hearing the voice, would figure out he was the voice of Underdog.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

As a kid, I never knew much of Wally Cox. Sure I watched Underdog but never knew about the man behind the voice. My Mom told me about him whenever a classic film or TV show would pop up and he'd be doing a guest star appearance. Mom used to watch, "Mr. Peepers" back in the day although I never saw that show in syndication (assuming it ever was).

hobbyfan said...

Mr. Peepers might've been in syndication, but it was out of it by the time I was born. He wore his clothes a certain way to hide the athletic, muscular build he really had (which served him well in The Adventures of Hiram Holliday).