Sunday, March 11, 2018

A message from Captain Kangaroo that's still relevant today (1983)

Throughout his run, Captain Kangaroo was all about teaching children, whether it was through reading books, having guests discussing fire & home safety, or, during the 80's, exercise with Slim Goodbody (we'll see him down the road if I can find some videos).

In 1983, the Captain (Bob Keeshan) cut this PSA about healthy breakfasts....



This, I think, was one of several regional PSA's produced. The same message would air across the country, but for education offices in each state.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

Always loved Captain Kangaroo!

I remember these PSAs. In fact I remember most vividly one n which he encouraged kids to get their shots. In that one he was with Mr. moose who was determined not to get immunized due to the pain they cause when you get stuck. Eventually the Captain convinces him otherwise by turning the conversation on him.

I also remember back in the early 90s, Bob Keeshan did shorts for FXs Breakfast Time morning show (or maybe it was its mainstream reboot, "Fox After Breakfast"). The old Captain Kangaroo theme would play in the background, while Bob would recie very insightful words of wisdom.

I miss the guy!

hobbyfan said...

I'll see if I can find those bits from the 90's. The immunization bit with Mr. Moose is available, so that'll be up as we get closer to next flu season.