Sunday, December 24, 2017

Retro Toy Chest: Remember Krusher? (1979)

Back in the late 70's, Kenner had one of the hottest toys on the market with the elastic Stretch Armstrong. So, Mattel decided they wanted a piece of that action.

Unfortunately, the following ad for Krusher represents the first time I've ever seen or heard of this product. Yes, it's a knockoff of Stretch's enemy, Stretch Monster, and maybe that's why it failed.

Personal note: My family moved to downtown Troy in 1979. I'm still living in the same apartment nearly 40 years later, and there used to be a toy store in the neighborhood. It's long since closed, replaced by a coffee house/restaurant. I remember going there a few times, and I never once caught sight of Krusher. Then again, teenage me was more interested in board games.......

Cartoon icon Gary Owens narrates the ad.

2 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

Somehow I found myself being amused at the end when Gary says "Krusher comes like this." and there's that period of silence. I don't know why but that gave me a chuckle.

hobbyfan said...

Standard line in most toy commercials of the period. Nothing special, really.