Thursday, October 5, 2017

Retro Toy Chest: Pie Face (1968)

One of the goofiest game ideas from Hasbro first emerged on the scene nearly 50 years ago, and is still around today.

Pie Face was introduced in 1968. The only thing that Hasbro couldn't supply was the whipped topping. That was something you had to buy at the store in order to really get the maximum enjoyment out of the game.

Here's a commercial from 1968:



Today, it's known as Pie Face Showdown, still made by Hasbro. I'm not sure if they ever stopped making the game, but there hasn't been any advertising for it in decades.

How do I know this?

Yesterday, the staff at my day job took time out for a late-season company picnic in Colonie, and one of the staff brought along Pie Face Showdown and a can of whipped cream. A couple of them took pictures of the game with their camera phones to have a few yocks this morning. As the kids say these days, this wasn't my jam, man.

12 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

I didn't see Pie Face at all in the 80's, but only first learned of it through a Nick at Nite special about classic TV commercials I saw once. Back then, I didn't think they would ever bring it back, and it's rather a shame it wasn't around in my childhood (much like Stretch Armstrong went through similar periods of not being on the shelves).

hobbyfan said...

Ok, so it was revived recently. Just saw an ad promoting the new My Little Pony movie, and there's a MLP variation of Pie Face as part of the merchandising.

Chris Sobieniak said...

Whatever way possible, Hasbro found new life for a 50 year old item.

hobbyfan said...

I wonder if they're trying to suggest a return to old school slapstick comedy.....

Chris Sobieniak said...

I wouldn't mind that at all, really.

SaturdayMorningFan said...

ANYTHING would be better than the fart jokes that have become the norm today.

Chris Sobieniak said...

Certainly. It's kinda funny noticing how low we've sank over the past 30-40 years to noticed how that trend happened.

hobbyfan said...

The trend toward fart jokes and much lower-brow humor had its roots, I think, in the late 80's or 90's.

Anyway, just when you thought the pie in the face went out when the original Pie Face game did......!

SaturdayMorningFan said...

Ren & Stimpy started it, I believe. I liked that show, but the pale imitators that came in its wake (and continue to this day) simply aren't funny.

hobbyfan said...

John Kricfalusi started a trend, then, with Ren & Stimpy. No wonder people think today's generation's been dumbed down.

Chris Sobieniak said...

There was certainly something about what John K. done that did have ramifications to what we see today. I often say he only worked when he's on a leash, or at least given some form of restraint or guidance. When that leash is gone, he just does whatever.

hobbyfan said...

And that "whatever" was the abomination that was the late night Ren & Stimpy revival in '03, which was DOA.