Thursday, September 1, 2016

Toonfomercial(s): Look who's shilling for Dr. Pepper! (1979)

In the late 70's, Dr. Pepper was big. Big as in, on the level of rivals Coca-Cola and Pepsi, thanks to a marketing campaign that made a star out of actor-singer David Naughton, who parlayed the ad campaign into the short-lived ABC series Makin' It and the horror movie, "An American Werewolf in London".

Dr. Pepper also contracted with Hanna-Barbera to have a couple of familiar cartoon icons appear with Naughton. First up, Popeye (Jack Mercer):



And, then, Fred Flintstone (Henry Corden), with a side order of Jimmie Walker (Good Times):



While Dr. Pepper is still around, none of their ad campaigns in recent years have matched the pop culture power of "Be a Pepper".

2 comments:

Silverstar said...

Dang, I remember these spots. I had no idea that was David Naughton in them, though (give me a break, I was 10). I recall there also being a "Be a Pepper" spot which featured Tweety and Sylvester. Wonder if that one's floating around in cyberspace somewhere.

hobbyfan said...

I'll take a look and see. I think you and I are probably wishing H-B did a 3rd Dr. Pepper spot with either Scooby-Doo or Yogi Bear or whomever......