Monday, November 10, 2014

Looney TV: Yankee Doodle Daffy (1943)

Back to the Golden Age we go.

Daffy Duck is a talent agent, while Porky Pig is a studio executive looking to slip away for a round of golf. Daffy thinks he's got the talent find of the year. Notice how he doesn't mention Lana Turner by name ("The Sweater Girl"). Hmmmmm.

Either Daffy's skills as a talent scout are questionable, or Sleepy, his new protege, isn't all he's quacked up to be. Scope for yourself in "Yankee Doodle Daffy" from 1943:



I've seen this one at least a dozen times, and I've never really been totally impressed. And we would see better material from writer Tedd Pierce and director Isadore "Friz" Freleng down the line.

Rating: C.

2 comments:

SaturdayMorningFan said...

I was never very impressed with this one either. But then I was never a fan of early Looney Tunes in general (with a few exceptions). IMO they didn't really start to hit their stride until about 1945 or so.

hobbyfan said...

I assume the exceptions include Bugs Bunny?

Anyway, Sleepy was never seen again, and while I got the joke, it just didn't make me laugh all that much. What it did do, however, is demonstrate just how agents, either in sports or entertainment, tend to embellish things when it isn't necessary.