Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Daytime Heroes: James Bond, Jr. (1991)

No, he's not the son of 007, but James Bond, Jr. was, in fact, the nephew of Ian Fleming's iconic hero.

In 1991, United Artists recruited the staff at Murakami-Wolf-Swenson (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) to produce James Bond, Jr. as a daily series, hoping that the next generation of Bond would resonate with his peers in the audience. Sad to say, he didn't. The series lasted one season, even though it had the usual merchandising tie-ins, such as toys and comic books.

Here's the series premiere, "In The Beginning":





I wanted to like this show, since I'm a Bond fan myself, but I couldn't get into it. Locally, the show aired in the morning before I went off to work, which didn't give me much of a chance.

 Rating: C.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I wasn't crazy about this one either.

A fellow Bond fan, I just couldn't get past the silly situations! Besides, the animation was too close to a show I still can't stand - Captain Planet. I'm sure they were both made by DIC.

It never did make sense for "Jr" to have been a junior - since he wasn't James Bond's son. At best he would have been named James Bond II.

hobbyfan said...

As I noted, Murakami-Wolf-Swenson did JBJ. The animation style does resemble their work on the Turtles.

It might be that some of the same artists worked on both JBJ & Capt. Planet. Even as far back as the 60's, there were artists who were drawing paychecks from multiple employers. It wasn't just the voice actors.....