Monday, March 25, 2013

It Should've Been on a Saturday: The Most Important Person (1972)

Remember The Most Important Person? It was a series of super-short pieces that helped promote cultural diversity and other social topics, using a mix of live-action & animation. These bits usually ran 3 1/2 minutes in length from beginning to end.

Close to home, WTEN (now an ABC affiliate) aired the series on weekday mornings, as part of a children's package leading to their Good Ship News mini-newscast. If memory serves, I believe these bits also aired in New York on either WPIX or WNEW (now WNYW), I forget which one it was for certain. Too bad they're not around on DVD today.

ToonORama uploaded "Oops-I Made a Mistake":



Rating: A.

4 comments:

magicdog said...

I remember these shorts! They aied on WPIX - TV.

It was a little like Seseme Street in how animationa nd live action were combined to teach a lesson to young viewers. They were generally good ones, like admitting you made a mistake (That's all!), and health and hygiene (I'm brushing my teeth with a carrot or some other vegetable). IIRC there was also two different catalysts for many of those lessons - Fumble - a green bird like creature and Hairy, a green shaggy dude who resembled Cousin It.

hobbyfan said...

I remember Fumble more than I do Hairy. 'PIX ran them in the afternoons, as I recall, as well as mornings. Pretty cool stuff, but, as I said, it's a pity it's not on DVD.

SaturdayMorningFan said...

There was also a little pink bird. In my area (Boston area) I think it aired as part of Captain Kangaroo (or maybe before or after it and I just thought it was part of the program).

hobbyfan said...

In Albany, it was part of the block that aired ahead of Capt. Kangaroo, IIRC, so it was the same in Boston.