Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Saturday Morning's Greatest Hits: ABC (1970)

Less than two years before they would gain a berth of their own on ABC's Saturday morning schedule, the Jackson 5ive appeared on American Bandstand to perform their first hit, "ABC". Oh, the irony of it all.

This clip also is on my other blog, The Land of Whatever, in tribute to host-executive producer Dick Clark, who passed away earlier today at 82. He joins Michael Jackson in the concert hall in the sky.



EDIT: 1/13/14: I had to change the video because the original clip was deleted by YouTube. Not quite as Clark-centric, but, well, you get the idea....

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I didn't know Dick Clark had passed away!! I happened to come by the site when I read your blog post. So sad!

The world's oldest teenager was a big part of my teen years, as I turned into AB every Saturday afternoon to learn the latest dance moves and see the newest performers! I remember when some new singer named Madonna was on and she announced that she planned to rule to world!

How right she was!

Dick, you will be very much missed!

hobbyfan said...

As I've written a few times, Bandstand was inexplicably blacked out in my area for a number of years in the 70's, only because the ABC affiliate at the time opted to use syndicated programming in the space. Luckily, Bandstand was back on locally by the time Madonna arrived at the end of '83.

I think what I'll do over in the Land of Whatever is find a few other Dick Clark entries for a memorial series. That'll probably be up in time for Memorial Day next month, if not sooner.