Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Saturday Morning's Forgotten Heroes: The Legion of Light (Skeleton Warriors, 1994)

Skeleton Warriors was the last part of a 90 minute block on CBS known as the Action Zone, coupled with adaptations of the comic books Wild.C.A.T.S. & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the latter the veteran of the three, having been a mainstay of CBS' lineup for a few years.

The series told the story of a war between Baron Dark & his Skeleton Warriors (rare for the title characters to be villains) and Prince Lightstar and his Legion of Light. Unfortunately, despite the predictable toy tie-in and subsequent comics adaptation (Marvel picked up the license), the series was cancelled after 1 season. In my market, Skeleton Warriors wound up, along with WildC.A.T.S., blacked out because the local affiliate chose to air syndicated programming instead.

Here's the series opener:



Landmark Entertainment produced the series, but were unsuccessful in landing other shows on the networks after cancellation.

No rating, as I never saw the show.

2 comments:

magicdog said...

I vaguely remember this show, which I guess tells you how well it kept viewer's interest.

I remember one of the members of the Legion of Light had made it possible for Baron Dark to become the Skeleton Warriors, and was punished by being literally in between the living and the dead. He spent the rest of the show trying to right the wrong he'd done.

hobbyfan said...

Nice idea, but it was the station indifference I referenced that led to its cancellation.

I should point out that my local affiliate did carry the show at first, then dropped it because of poor response. I remember watching the debut of WildCATS, but not sticking around for Skeleton Warriors.